CITRIC ACID USES FOR FOOD
1) For Flavouring
For providing a Tangy Sour flavor the Citric acid is usually preferred in many beverages too. The speciaIity of this acid is that it has a natural sour taste. Hence it is widely used for flavor the candies the orange or like the lemon.
2) For Food Preservation
Citric acid is added to processed food and this is done during the canning process. The addition of this Citric acid helps in maintaining a healthy pH balance inside the foods products and also helps to increase their shelf life.
3) To prevent sugar crystallizing
In the preparation of homemade jams, sugar syrups or ketchup, you can add the citric acid powder to prevent your sugar being crystallized. This will also improve color and flavor of your dish.
CITRIC ACID USES FOR CLEANING
General disinfecting and cleaning: As citric acid is a natural disinfectant it can be used for cleaning purposes as it effectively kills bacteria, mildew & molds.
Green Cleaning: We often hear in the advertisement the dishwashing bars having the lemon but it actually the Citric acid which does the job. In lemon or lime soaps and bars, citric acid is added.
Other cleaning products: Citric acid is widely used in auto cleaning products all-purpose cleaners, soap scum removers, air fresheners, window cleaners, stain removers, metal cleaners, oven cleaners, tub & tile cleaners, carpet cleaners, dishwasher cleaners, bathroom cleaner dish soaps, laundry detergents etc.
Side Effects of Citric Acid
Yes, It is true that excess of everything is bad and it is equally applicable in this case too.
• Weak hair: breakage, discoloration and hair degradation.
• Negatively affects infant health: can lead to absorption of heavy metals
• Discoloured stools and also frequent need to urinate or decrease in the amount of urine
• Excessive consumption and Application of citric acid may cause:
• Dizziness and drop in blood pressure
• Skin irritation: burning sensation and irritation